Every January, business entities registered with the Florida Department of Corporations are required to file an Annual Report, in order to keep their entity in “Active” status. Filing late results in a $400 fine, and not filing at all results in your business entity becoming “Inactive” and not legally able to do business in Florida. If your business is still in operation, you obviously want to avoid the fine or a change in status.
So, we are here to remind everyone to file their Annual Report now, and don’t wait until the deadline of May 1. The earliest you can file each year is January 1, so now is the perfect time to get it done and cross it off your to-do list. It takes about 5 minutes, so why wait?
Who Needs to File?
Any business entity registered via sunbiz.org with the Florida Department of Corporations. If you have an INC or and LLC after your business entity name, then you most likely are required to file an Annual Report. Other entities, double check with the Florida Department of Corporations to see if you are required to file. If your email address is on file with the Florida Department of Corporations, they will send an email reminder to file, which is helpful.
Here are step by step instructions on how to file your Annual Report:
- Go to sunbiz.org
- Hover over "Manage/Change Existing Business"
- Choose "File Annual Report"
- Scroll down and click the button that says, "Click HERE to File Your Annual Report"
- Make sure you have your document number...it's 12 digits long and begins with a letter. Put it in so the system can locate your file.
- Verify that all info is correct, and make changes if need be. (Check to make sure that addresses are current, and if you need to add anyone or remove anyone, now is the perfect time to do so.) Then click the green button to continue if everything looks good.
- Double check that all info is correct.
- Enter in your name to act as your electronic signature, type in your title, and then click the green button to go to payment.
- Process and submit your payment.
- The system will send you an email confirmation...keep for your records.
- Repeat this process next year after January 1, 2023.
If your business is no longer in operation, make sure to take care of closing it out on sunbiz.org as well.
Happy Annual Reporting!